[Bristol-Birds] Easter Weekend Birding

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:45:02 -0400

I had some spring arrivals over the extended Easter weekend at home on Simerly Creek Road, Hampton, TN.

On Good Friday, an Osprey made a leisurely flyover. This is the first "yard" Osprey I have recorded in several years. I also had a pair of Hairy Woodpeckers raising a ruckus.

On Saturday, April 11, a pair of Brown Thrashers cavorted through the yard, visiting several different thickets and even the feeders. Although not new arrivals, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Ruby-crowned Kinglets flitted about in the willows.

Also on Saturday, I made a brief stop at Erwin Fishery Park in Erwin, Unicoi Co., TN. There was a single female Hooded Merganser on the pond and three swallows (Barn, Tree and N. Rough-winged) skimmed over the pond's surface. While walking around the park's wetland area, I came across a remarkable flock of 10 to 12 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers mixed with Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Chickadees and Tufted Titmice. This is the most gnatcatchers I have ever observed at the same time. There were indeed plenty of gnats present also, so I am sure they were finding plenty of food in the wetland area.

I didn't actually record any new arrivals on Easter Sunday, but enjoyed looks at many American Robins and also some male American Goldfinches who are looking their very best right now.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN