[Bristol-Birds] Duck Fallout

  • From: Glen Eller <gleneller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bristol-birds " <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 13:56:20 -0500 (EST)

In a follow up to the post Roy Knispel e-mailed about the two rafts of ducks I
saw today, I will try to list what I saw and could identify for sure.
Started the morning out at the Patrick Henry Dam overlook where I had  a raft
in fairly close, in that raft I had 53 Bufflehad; 15 Hooded Mergansers; 12
Horned Grebe and 14 Scaup (probably Lesser).  Under the bridge at the usual
spot were 2 Black Crowned Night Herons.

At the Boone Dam overlook I had 38 Ruddy Ducks and 13 Horned Grebes in close
but further out in the bay (about 1 mile) I saw a large raft of 600 to 700
hundred ducks.  It was still very misty and overcast but I could identify
Bufflehead and Scaup in the group.  I drove around to the Oak Grove area to try
to see if I could get a better look at this raft, the large raft were still a
long way away and around a bend.  There were 3 small groups in the bay that I
could identify: 75 Bufflehead; 23 Ruddy Ducks; 37 Coots and 4 Redheads.

At the Boone Dam overlook I also had a large flock of around 250 Robins.

Glen Eller
Kingsport, TN
Monday, Dec 9, 2013