[Bristol-Birds] Re: Downed nests

  • From: Anita Huffman <housewren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dkirschke@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 12:33:46 -0400

When I called Cornell about feeding baby birds, they told me to soak Purina cat food in warm water and feed it to the babies with a straw. You cut off one side of the straw to sort of make a little scoop. It's soft enough that if you accidentally poke the bird, it doesn't hurt it. The birds did really well and I was able to find a rehab place for them after a couple of weeks.

Anita Huffman
Rugby, VA Grayson Co.

On 07/02/2012 08:11 AM, david kirschke wrote:
Some friends report that a Blue Jay nest and a Cedar Waxwing nest came
down in their yard during the storm last evening. The waxwings were
about to fledge but the jays are less developed. Any advice for feeding
or trying to replace the nest in a tree. I think they said the waxwing
nest was not in good shape.
David Kirschke,
Johnson City, TN

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

MENDOTA HAWK MIGRATION DAILY AND SEASON TOTALS CAN
BE FOLLOWED DAILY ON THE HAWK MIGRATION ASSOC. SITE
http://hawkcount.org/month_summary.php?rsite=706&PHPSESSID=b2eb5deb1ae5a23e55dcf30171c5ba85

http://bristolbirdclub.org

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia and Northeast Tennessee. --------------------------------------------------