[Bristol-Birds] Re: Dowitcher Sp.

  • From: Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>
  • To: hawk036@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 11:11:48 -0400

Thanks Rick Knight for the ID assistance, this is a Short-billed Dowitcher, the
three note call the bird gave sealed the ID.

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA

On May 6, 2015, at 9:56 PM, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx> wrote:

While out with the family this evening on South Holston Lake 05-06-2015 I
found a shorebird sitting on what is known as Cliff Island. I first thought
it was a Greater-yellowlegs because when it took flight at a distance it gave
a three note call. I later determined it was a Dowitcher Sp. I checked the
call of both species and found that the Short-billed gives a three note call
and the long-billed does not. I have asked for some verification on this and
I am awaiting a response. So for now I will go with Dowitcher Sp. What this
bird was doing on a rock solid Island is beyond me but there it was. There
were two spotted sandpipers also, I watched them hover over the water and
pluck minnows from the surface, which I though was interesting behavior. I
have included a link to the photos.
http://www.msandersphotography.com/dowitcher
<http://www.msandersphotography.com/dowitcher>

On Sunday May 3rd a friend took this pic of three Willet's while we were on
my boat, I received conformation on the birds. Cool find…..

Mike Sanders
Bristol, VA

<Willet and Forester Tern.jpg>