[Bristol-Birds] Douglas Lake 9/14/08

  • From: Michael Sledjeski <mtnsylva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 11:59:47 -0400

Cocke county, 9/14/08, 2-5 PM, by car & on foot
Lake elevation: 968.6

We met Don Miller on Brown Hollow Rd. to see what birds might have come in to Ten Islands with the wind. At scope distance, there were only great egrets, great blue herons, mallards & Canada Geese on or near the water. Walking along the shoreline, we found a few shorebirds hunkering near the debris. like the aftermath of a peregrine attack. Don headed back to Greeneville, & we swung by Rankin Bottoms, then drove over to Dutch Bottoms and checked out muddy inlets along the old concrete highway.

Partial list :
  (Ten Islands: T, Rankin Bottoms: R, Dutch Bottoms: D)
Osprey (3R)
Bald eagle (1 juvenile -R)
Red-tailed hawk (D)
Semipalmated plover (8T, 1D)