[Bristol-Birds] Daryl Owens birding Buchanan Co 27 Apr 2015

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Bristol Birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 21:52:16 -0400

From: Daryl Owens

To: Buchanan County Bird Club

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 05:34:02 -0400

Today before and after visiting my parents in the Lover's Gap area, the
family and I decided to check out the Southern Gap area for migrants. On our
first trip, just after lunch, fog had settled in and the birds weren't very
active. We did, however, get a very good look at a Greater Yellowlegs,
Grasshopper Sparrows, Eastern Meadowlarks, Horned Larks and two Vesper
Sparrows. At my parents home I found two Pine Siskins still hanging around
their feeders. After a nice visit, we decided to go back and look again,
seeing that the fog had lifted and fairer weather prevailed. On our second
trip we found more evidence of the weather-related fallout with a nice look
at a Spotted Sandpiper, a couple of Purple Martins and a flock of ten
Ring-billed Gulls. Also of interest were three American Kestrels hanging out
very close to one another. I'm sure they were there for the smorgasbord of
passerines that seemed to number in the hundreds. On another note, the
handsome, crooner
Orchard Oriole was back serenading us at our home today. . . .

Daryl Owens,
Oakwood VA