[Bristol-Birds] Creeping Hairy

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 04:09:00 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I had a rarity for yard birds yesterday. I heard a Hairy Woodpecker pinking,
but when I looked up the first bird I saw was a Brown Creeper going up a walnut
tree. I later located the Hairy on the other side of a tree above him. Haven't
had either in the yard for several years, and now both at once and without
binoculars.
I normally don't get HAWP unless the borer bees have been active on the gate
and the Hairy comes along and decides to dig out a six-inch channel to locate
the larvae. Of course people with shake siding who don't treat it for borer
bees then get upset with the woodpecker when he does this.
Another feeding frenzy to watch for in the next six weeks is when your peonies
are about to bloom. Big black ants crawling all over the buds are a necessary
synergy for the buds to open, and that can bring a Great Crested Flycatcher
down for an ant feast for him and a  close and personal look for you. Watch for
it.
I'm not sure what ants do to help the peony to burst from its bud, whether they
chomp on the bud case or lap up some sweet exudescence that is keeping them
sealed (I'm betting on the latter). Was anybody out there awake during botany?

James Brooks
Bear Run
Washington County