[Bristol-Birds] Cooper's Hawk, immature Bald Eagle, and Common Ravens (Hawkins County) for the morning

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:43:48 -0500

Had an excellent start to my day as I flushed a Cooper's Hawk off of an
early morning kill as I came out my back door headed for work this morning
in north Kingsport.  The bird perched in a tree just behind my apartment and
gave me a good, close look.  About 10 minutes later I was watching an
immature Bald Eagle circling around a small group of Canada Geese on the
banks of the S. Fork Holston River, just in front of the Netherland Inn in
Kingsport.  Interesting behavior.  The eagle circled low and hovered right
over the top of the geese no more than six feet off the ground for about ten
minutes, over and over.  Looked like it was going to land, but never did.
The geese did not seem concerned and eventually moved on into the river.
The eagle flew off downstream towards the N. Fork Holston at Rotherwood.
Five minutes later I was watching two Common Ravens circling around over the
parking lot at the Burger King near Allendale Mansion along W. Stone Drive
in Hawkins County.  With this kind of a start...makes a person want to take
the day off and just go birding!

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee