[Bristol-Birds] Cooper's Hawk flogging a Turkey Vulture

  • From: Richard Lewis <mountainbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 07:53:47 -0400

A pair of Cooper’s Hawks have nested at the edge of my yard for several
years. I have been seeing the male a lot this spring but the female has
stayed hidden. The nest is in a place that can’t be seen. They should
have fairly good sized young by now. Several times the male has perched
near me and scolded me with his cackling. I was sitting on the deck Friday
when I heard the Cooper’s cackling like crazy. I looked in the direction
of the noise and here comes a Turkey Vulture with the male Cooper’s right
on its tail. The TV was bobbing, weaving, dipping and doing anything it
could do to get away from the hawk.

I had never seen a vulture doing such aerial maneuvers. I watched this for
about 10 seconds before they disappeared with the Cooper’s Hawk still
pursuing the vulture.

Richard Lewis

Bristol,TN