[Bristol-Birds] Cooper's Hawk Nest at Oak HIll Cemetery

  • From: "Rick Phillips" <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Butternuts" <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 10:28:40 -0500

I was back at Oak Hill Cemetery this morning to see if I could gather more
definite evidence on the possible Cooper's Hawk Nest I reported on yesterday.
Got there around 8:30am.  Around 9:00am I heard a soft cackle and looked
towards the nest to see mamma Coop sitting on the nest.  She began to busy
herself with arranging sticks more to her liking and was engaged in that
activity for a least thirty minutes.  Around that time dad flew silently by and
she gave a short cackle and flew off after him. Nice to see these birds nesting
in a suburban area and adapting quite nicely in an area with quite a bit of
activity.  Hopefully they will follow through and complete the nesting cycle.
If so I believe the nest will be quite visible even after the trees leaf out
and we will be in for a real treat as far as observation, photography, and
videography are concerned.  I'm keeping my distance from the nest at this
point, as I don't want to disturb them at all.  The best vantage points for
observation and photography are some distance away out in the cemetery looking
back towards the funeral home.  Here is a short clip of mamma at the nest this
morning.  Only a 2 Mb windows media file, may be viewable even for those with a
dialup connection.  http://media.putfile.com/Oak-Hill-Coopers-Hawk-Nest

Rick

Rick Phillips
Kingsport, Tennessee