[Bristol-Birds] Compton Mtn. and Horn Mtn.

  • From: "Todd Perkins" <bigun_75@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 22:21:18 -0400

Area Birder,

This evening, Roger and Linda Mayhorn and myself worked both Compton and
Horn Mtn.  We had an excellent evening.  It seems that most of the warblers
are back in full force.  I managed to easily get three lifers;
a cerulean warbler, golden-winged warbler, and a yellow throated vireo. More
warblers were heared than seen though.  We heard a few hooded warblers sing
alternate songs, one in particular.  At first, I thought that it was a
Kirtland's.  But the ending was different.  So, no kirtland's warbler.  So
we kept lookin for the bird and finally found him.  Strangely enough, it was
the hooded warbler.  American redstarts were numerous this evening also.  We
got good looks at an extremely bright scarlet tanager also.  There were a
few red eyed vireos hopping around in the treetops too.

Species of the evening heard and seen:

chickadees
titmice
carolina wrens
song sparrows
chipping sparrows
eastern towhees
indigo buntings
eastern meadowlarks
brown headed cowbirds
red winged blackbirds
american robins
american goldfinches
brown thrasher
yellow breasted chat
cerulean warblers (life bird)
Golden Winged warbler (life bird)
yellow throated vireo (life bird)
red eyed vireos
ovenbirds
american redstarts
black and white warblers
common yellowthroat
gray catbirds
common raven
common grackles
hooded warblers
yellow throated warblers
black throated green warblers
northern parula
chesnut sided warbler
eastern phoeboe
northern cardinals
starlings
house finches
rose breasted grosbeaks
possible blue winged warbler ( if not, it was a golden winged singing the
bluewinged's song)
possible blackpoll warbler (not a definate id)
wild turkey (hen)
yellow warblers
american crows

Also, when I got home this evening, one of my friends and I went to see if
we could roost a turkey.  We heard one gobble a few ridges away, but didn't
hear anything close or see anything.  We heard many songbirds though.  Just
at the fall of night, I blowed on my owl hooter again.  I had three barred
owls to respond.  We stayed and called to them for a few minutes.  Last
spring, I called an owl in.  It landed in the woods behind my house one
night.  I two total that night responding to my calling.

Todd Perkins

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958