[Bristol-Birds] Re: Common Nighthawk

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 02:10:12 -0500

Here is what I believe applies to the nighthawk record:

In the past 107 years of Audubon Christmas Bird Counts, there is no record for
a Common Nighthawk for Virginia.  There are no winter records known for the
species in the
state of Virginia.  As compilers of counts, we are the first line of collecting
and reporting documentation.
If the observer of this species wishes to have it included in the count week
(CW) data
reported to Audubon, it should have an Unusual Bird Reports form completed in
detail by the observer
and sent to the region editor.  The reliability of this identification does not
rest
upon the verbal report but rather on the ability to completely document the
identification.

Rob Biller handed out copies of the Unusual Bird Reports at our planning
meeting and it can
probably be downloaded from the Audubon CBC website on the internet.

The fact that this is a count week report does not lower the standard of
acceptance from
that of a species reported on the count day.

In addition,  this record should be sent to the Virginia Avian Records
Committee.
More detailed instructions and how to submit a report may be found at
http://www.virginiabirds.org/doc-checklist.html.

I have known Betty Edmondson for years and she is an experienced birder.  My
remarks here have
nothing to do whatsoever with her judgment or identification skills or her
ability to correctly ID a
Common Nighthawk.  It is all about required, careful, documentation.

When are Unusual Bird Reports Required?
Unusual Bird Reports are required under the following circumstances:
Neotropical migrant species for which there are few accepted records for North
America.
Any reports of these species in North America MUST be accompanied by impeccable
substantiating details, preferably including sketches and/or photographs, or
they will be
deleted from counts. The only exceptions for some of these species, such as
Broad-winged Hawk and Ruby-throated Hummingbird, will be for the very limited
geographic area (like coastal Louisiana or south Florida) where the species is
regular
on Christmas Bird Counts.
The species (or form) is out of range, season, or difficult to identify. These
species
should be flagged as US (Unusual Species) when reported on the checklist. The
best
rule is that if it's a "good bird" or not a winter regular, it should include
details. Lack
of a report could result in the species being omitted or tagged with the
dreaded ND (no details)!
All reports must include the name and phone number of the person who is the
contact
for the report. This could be a compiler or it could be a participant who
observed the species.

Let's go birding.......