[Bristol-Birds] Common Goldeneye

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:10:04 -0500

One adult, male, Common Goldeneye was at Middlebrook Lake, Bristol Tennessee,
Sullivan Co., this morning.  Also had a couple of Gadwall and dozens of Hooded
Mergansers.  The Ringed-billed Gulls are more than you care to count.  A single
Double-crested Cormorant was there.

Birders might keep a close eye on the downstream raceway face of the dam.  It
looks like a good place for a wintering Spotted Sandpiper, Dunlin and such.  It
has at least three Killdeer there every time I check it.  This is one of the
most reliable places to find Spotted Sandpipers during migration and it is not
unusual to find several there anytime during spring or fall.

I was birding behind Rick Knight and John Moyle who were moving through the
area independently.  I overtook Moyle at Musick's Campground and he was heading
north up South Holston Lake into Virginia.  Knight appeared to be an hour ahead.

Let's go birding.....