[Bristol-Birds] Cold front and Birds

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:29:02 EDT

As the fronts moved through over the past few days, I have seen new fall
arrivals and increased numbers of other migrants.  My first dark-eyed junco
arrived as a "window-kill" on 10/15.  Yellow-rumped warblers began increasing
on
20th and peaked today (25th) at about a dozen moving together, I saw the first
yellow-bellied sapsucker for several weeks on the 20th and two on the
21st...then 4 together on the 23rd.  I had been seeing individual kinglets for
a couple
of weeks, but on the 23rd I saw 4 golden-crowned kinglets and 3 ruby-crowned
kinglets with 6 yellow-rumped warblers.  Fickers increased from an occasional
call or sighting to at least 5 by the 24th.  About a dozen swamp sparrows were
at my marsh on the 24th and my first white-throate sparrow arrived on the 22nd
(about 8-10 today).  Today a lfock of about 40 robins spent the day on and
around our property while a mixed flight of red-wing blackbirds and cowbirds
(about 80-100) spent the late afternoon there.  I had had 9 blackbirds on the
23rd.  So, it has been an interesting week or so on Glen Alpine Road!   John
Moyle    Kingsport   Sullivan County