[Bristol-Birds] Claytor Lake Waterfowl & Rusty Blackbirds

  • From: Herdfanmark@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:48:59 EST

Greetings,
                 Yesterday at the mouth of peak creek on Claytor lake I saw
a raft of about  100 birds which included: American Wigeon -  4
   Today at the same location:
               Ring-Necked Duck -  25
             Common Merganser - 23
               Ruddy Duck -  4
                  Horned Grebe - 4
               Bufflehead - 2
               Lesser Scaup - 65

Dehaven Park ---    Common Loon - 6
                             Pied-billed Grebe - 7

This afternoon Stan Bentley and I checked out the Claytor  lake State Park
area of the lake and found:
Common Loon - 98
Horned Grebe - 44
Scaup Species - 300+
American Coot - 300 +
Bufflehead - 35

Pied-billed Grebe - 30
Ruddy Duck - 7
Mallard - 6
Double-crested Cormorant - 4
Gadwall - 2
Ring-billed Gull - 5
Unidentified Tern - 1
Unidentified waterfowl - 400-500 due to poor lighting and great  distance
Today I also saw 50+ Rusty Blackbirds in my backyard, an unusual  sight for
me!

Good Birding!

Mark Mullins
Claytor Lake, Va