[Bristol-Birds] Change of assignment

  • From: James Brooks <comeback@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Allen Trently <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Angelia Lewis <angelia269@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Arthur Overlee <kiko88@xxxxxxx>, Audrey Hoff <ahoff@xxxxxxx>,Betsy Jarnigan <BJarniga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Bob Sargent <RubyThroat@xxxxxxx>,Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Carole Franklin <franklin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Carolyn <carolynmoore@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>,Charlotte Klasson <charlotte@xxxxxxxxxx>,Chuck & Dona Lewis <frnklinhse@xxxxxxx>,Cranberry Thistle <cranberrythistle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,David Trently <dtrently@xxxxxxx>, Don Miller <raincrow@xxxxxxx>,Drane Wilkinson <drane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Emily Eddy <eeddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Helen Pappas <HelenAPappas@xxxxxxx>,Ignacy Fonberg <ignacy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Maria Costa <COSTA@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Maria Culhane <MariaCulhane@xxxxxxxxx>,Martha Nan Meredith <mnmeredith@xxxxxxxxx>,Mary Jacobsen <jacobsenmary@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"McKinney, Kevin (NBA)" <KMcKinney@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,Pearl Williams <snipz04@xxxxxxx>,Rebecca Ingram <RIngram712@xxxxxxx>,Reece Barringer <ms.fit@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandi <sandi2k2@xxxxxxx>,Souza Jungle King <Souzaguia@xxxxxxx>,Steve Cook <jboart@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Sue-sue Floyd <floyds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Susan & Ivan Ford &Cordrey <fordcordrey@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Terry Rose <rose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 08:35:42 -0500

I had good news yesterday. Managing Editor John Molley called me into
his office and said he enjoyed my radio shot on Joe Byrd's Blue Ridge
Outdoors program on WFHG  Saturday so much that it awakened his wife due
to all the laughter, and she came downstairs just as we got onto the
subject of John Molley, where I said in response to some banter by Joe,
that I always have to give John the benefit of a doubt because he looks
so much like the Buddha that I immediately have warm and friendly
feelings about him.  He even showed me a small Buddha statue he keeps
above his desk, a gift from someone else who noticed the same thing.
All the talk about Einstein the raccoon evading my traps caused him to
have an inspiration, the upshot of which is that I will no longer be
covering federal court, and instead will be expanding my column to 3x a
week, the other two dealing entirely with animals other than birds, both
pets and wild animals. He said he'd been trying to come up with things
that make us unique from the Kingsport Times-News and the Bristol
Herald-Courrier, and what they don't have is James Brooks.
If the readership goes up as a result I will go to a full-time
columnist, personal promotion and raises in salary, blah-blah-blah.
He wants me to do as many personal appearances as I can arrange, and
suggested I use these to promote my novel.
That will probably coincide nicely with my retirement in 21 months and
26 days, which would be fine with me, because I could maintain my health
benefits and 401k as a full-time columnist.
As luck would have it, my first attempt with the new-design live trap
from New Haven, a subsidiary of Acme Mfg. Co., and addressed to Wiley C.
Coyote was to capture a possum Sunday morning, which I released at
Persimmon Ridge Park.
Last night I set the two traps side by side and was awakened just as I
was drowsing ...

Well, I guess you'll just have to wait for this column to appear. Also
available online at

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com
on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, beginning this Sunday.
Hopefully, a big part of this will be questions and comments from
readers on anything in the natural kingdom - maybe even plants, I'm that
open minded about the whole thing. So if you have a question, a comment
or something like a photo to contribute, either anonymously or by name,
my work email is
jbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The big question is, do I really want to put Malone Hollow on the map?
Anybody got an idea for a ficticious name for where I live?
James Brooks

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958