[Bristol-Birds] Cattle Egrets, Carter Co., TN

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 07:48:26 EDT

I received an email and a picture from Joey Grindstaff, a resident of Stoney
Creek in Carter County.
On the morning of May 9, he encountered three Cattle Egrets at the farm pond
on the left starting up Panhandle Road on the way to the Blue Hole waterfalls.
This is the same road birders use to access Holston Mountain for birding.

He sent me a photograph of one of the birds perched in a tree. The bird was
clearly a Cattle Egret in breeding plumage. Joey didn't know the identity of
the bird, and was seeking help in identifying it.

The birds were apparently migrants that didn't linger long. He said he made
other trips back to the pond and never saw the birds again.

I told him that Cattle Egrets are an unexpected find in the region. I know
that Gary Wallace saw some Cattle Egrets (being chased by the cows) a few years
ago in Carter County, but I don't know if any other county records exist.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN