[Bristol-Birds] Carter, Johnson, Sullivan Counties

  • From: Robert Biller <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Bird <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:35:00 -0400

Birded parts of Carter, Johnson and Sullivan Counties on Sunday - 4 / 20 / 08.

Places visited:

Cross Mountain - CM (Carter / Johnson County)
Backbone Rock - BR (Johnson County)
Highway 133 To Backbone Rock - 133TBR (Johnson County)
Shady Valley - SV (Johnson County)
Quarry Bog in Shady Valley - QBSV (Johnson County)
Quarry Road (next to Quarry Bog) - QRSV (Johnson County)
Orchard Bog in Shady Valley - OBSV (Johnson County)
Iron Mountain - IM (Johnson County)
Holston Mountain - HM (Johnson County,  Sullivan County)
Towhee Ridge Rd on Holston Mountain (self named first logging road up Holston
Mt on Left) - TRHM (Sullivan County)
South Holston Lake at the Point (421 Bridge) - SHL P (Sullivan County)
South Holston Lake at Musick's Campground - SHL M (Sullivan County)
South Holston Lake at TWRA Boat ramp (next to Musick's) - SHL T (Sullivan
County)
Carrico residence (Bristol) - CAR (Sullivan County)

Birds Seen and Where:

 1. Canada Goose - QB, SV, SHL M
 2. Mallard - QR, SHL M
 3. Northern Shoveler - SHL M
 4. Red-breasted Merganser - SHL M
 5. Common Loon - 4
 6. Great Blue Heron - SHL M
 7. Black Vulture - SHL P, SHL M, SHL T
 8. Turkey Vulture - QBSV, SHL M, SHL T
 9. Broad-winged Hawk - TRHM(Nesting Pair), CAR (Nesting Pair)
10. Red-tailed Hawk - QBSV
11. Virginia Rail - QBSV, OBSV
12. Killdeer - SHL M
13. LAUGHING GULL - SHL M (Rick Knight found this, I was just lucky enough to
arrive about 3 hours later...)
14. Bonaparte's Gull - SHL M
15. Ring-billed Gull - SHL P, SHL M, SHL T
16. Herring Gull - SHL M
17. Rock Pigeon - SV
18. Mourning Dove - SV
19. Barred Owl - IM (calling at noon) - not migratory or visiting, but my first
for the year
20. Chimney Swift - CAR
21. Belted Kingfisher - SV, CAR
22. Red-bellied Woodpecker - QBSV, CAR
23. Downy Woodpecker - SV, CAR
24. Northern Flicker - CAR
25. Pileated Woodpecker - SHL T
26. Eastern Phoebe - SV
27. Eastern Kingbird - SHL P
28. White-eyed Vireo - SHL T
29. Blue-headed Vireo - CM, HM(Sullivan County side), IM
30. Red-eyed Vireo - IM
31. Blue Jay - SV, etc
32. American Crow - SV, etc
33. Common Raven - 133TBR
34. Tree Swallow - QBSV, OBSV, SHL P, SHL M, SHL T
35. Barn Swallow - QBSV, OBSV, SV, SHL M
36. Carolina Chickadee - SV, etc
37. Tufted Titmouse - SV, etc
38. White-breasted Nuthatch - 133TBR, IM
39. Carolina Wren - SV, etc
40. House Wren - QBSV, OBSV
41. Winter Wren - 133TBR
42. Ruby-crowned Kinglet - QRSV
43. Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - SV, QBSV, OBSV
44. Eastern Bluebird - QBSV, OBSV, SV
45. Wood Thrush - CM (Carter County side)
46. American Robin - SV, etc
47. Northern Mockingbird - QRSV
48. Brown Thrasher - CM (Johnson County side), SV, SHL M, SHL T
49. European Starling - SV, etc
50. Northern Parula - BR, 133TBR, TRHM
51. Black-throated Blue Warbler - CM(Carter County Side), 133TBR, BR
52. Yellow-rumped Warbler - SHL P
53. Black-throated Green Warbler - CM(Carter County Side), BR, HM(Sullivan
County Side)
54. Yellow-throated Warbler - SHL P (nesting pair)
55. Pine Warbler - SHL P
56. Black and White Warbler - CM(Carter County Side), BR, 133TBR
57. Worm-eating Warbler - 133TBR
58. Ovenbird - CM (Carter County Side)
59. Louisiana Waterthrush - CM(Carter County Side), 133TBR
60. Common Yellowthroat - QRSV
61. Hooded Warbler - CM (Carter County Side), BR, 133TBR
62. Eastern Towhee - BR, 133TBR, SV, HM(Sullivan County Side), TRHM
63. Chipping Sparrow - SV, etc
64. Field Sparrow - CM(Johnson County Side), QRSV
65. Song Sparrow - SV, etc
66. White-throated Sparrow - SV
67. White-crowned Sparrow - QRSV
68. Dark-eyed Junco - BR, 133TBR, IM, HM(both sides)
69. Northern Cardinal - SV, etc
70. Red-winged Blackbird - SV, etc
71. Eastern Meadowlark - QBSV, OBSV, SV
72. Common Grackle - SV, etc
73. Brown-headed Cowbird - SHL P
74. House Finch - QRSV
75. American Goldfinch - SV, etc
76. House Sparrow - QBSV, SV

Note - If you get this message more than you should have, I apologize.  I am
routing all my Charter mail through GMAIL now and sending from GMAIL through my
Charter Account is messing up.  It works sometimes and other times it won't.  I
may have to change my subscription for TN and Bristol Birds to GMAIL because it
is 100% better.

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN