[Bristol-Birds] Carter County birding--Elizabethton Walkway and Carver's Gap

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:43:53 -0400

Reece Jamerson, Gil Derouen, and I birded the Elizabethton Linear Walkway at
the ballfield end and Roan Mountain at Picnic Shelter #1 and Carver's Gap this
morning.  Highlights include:

Walkway:
Kingfisher
E. Wood Pewee
Am. Redstart pair
Magnolia Warbler

Picnic Shelter #1
E. Phoebe
Catbird       2
Song Sparrow     2

Carver's Gap
Am Kestrel
Common Raven
Golden-crowned Kinglet    2
Red-breasted Nuthatch      7
Black-throated Green Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Tennessee Warbler           4
Bay-breasted Warbler      2
Palm Warbler                   2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak  4
Red Crossbill                   4

While up at Carver's Gap, we met with Eric and Kathy Noblet, who were hiking on
the balds.  They asked that I report that, in addition to what we saw, they had
2 Turkey Vultures, and a Vesper Sparrow and a Merlin while up on Round Bald.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City