[Bristol-Birds] Carter County Redheads, Wigeons

  • From: AHoodedWarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, HerndonBirdClub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 17:36:12 EST

On Tuesday, Feb. 14, Bryan Stevens, David Thometz, Peggy Stevens and Amos
Stevens birded at Rasar Farm and Wilbur Lake near Elizabethton in Carter Co.,
TN.

At Rasar Farm, we found eight American Wigeons, six Redheads, four
Buffleheads, Canada Geese and Mallards.

In the fields bordering the Watauga River at Rasar Farm, we found six Eastern
Meadowlarks and an Eastern Phoebe.

At Wilbur Lake, we found an additional 3 Redheads (2 drakes, 1 hen) as well
as the regular Buffleheads and the wintering flock of 30+ Ring-necked Ducks. We
also observed some Golden-crowned Kinglets.

ALSO: To give an update: We also stopped at Erwin Fishery Park in Erwin,
Unicoi County, TN. The Cackling Goose found in late December by Rick Knight is
still residing with the flock of Canada Geese at the pond. Other ducks at the
pond included one Green-winged Teal, three Wood Ducks, many Mallards and some
assorted domestic ducks.

The Cackling Goose is fairly easy to distinguish from the Canada Geese and
offers some great looks at close range.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN