[Bristol-Birds] Carter County Birding 4-5-08

  • From: "Robert Biller" <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 16:46:18 -0500

Hello Bristol and TN Birders,

Spring birding madness continues in Northeast Tennessee.  I referred to this
in the subject to my post last week, although I said March Madness, but
spring birding madness is more apropos.   What I am referring to the time of
the year when some of both winter and summer birds are in the area.  In this
case its spring and migrant birds are getting to "socialize" with many birds
that still haven't departed for their more northerly (or higher elevation)
breeding grounds.  The following places are in Carter County, TN :

*Sycamore Shoals State Park* (12-1pm)

*Yellow-crowned Night Heron* (on a branch across from the nest on the
Elizabethton or NE end of the park.  It wasn't on the nest, but I have a
feeling it is probably going to use it).
*Northern Pintail - *3 (on the river upstream of the park)
Wood Duck - 2 (flybys)
E.Phoebe
Carolina Chickadees
Tufted Titmice (Titmouses)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Mallards
Canada Goose
Red-winged Blackbirds
Cowbirds
Northern Cardinal
Tree Sparrow ++
Bufflehead - 7

*Broad St *(in between Broad st/19E Intersection and Lincoln Rd - the road
to Rasor Farm)

Bufflehead 2

*Rason Farm

**Blue-winged Teal* 5
*Lesser Scaup* 4
*RIng-necked Duck* 5
*Osprey*
*Barn Swallow 4
Tree Swallow* +++
*Northern Rough-winged Swallow* - 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (breeding plumage)
Turkey Vulture 2
Bufflehead 6
*Hooded Merganser* 5

*Along the River to Wilbur Dam *(Wilbur Dam Rd)
*
Hooded Merganser* 5
*Blue-winged Teal* 3
Bufflehead 3

*Area in between Wilbur Dam and Watauga Dam*

*Old Horseshoe Freewill Baptist Church*

*Yellow-throated Warber* 1
Northern Flicker 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
*
Brookie and Jean Potter's House*

Chipping Sparrow ++
Dark-eyed Junco +
American Goldfinches
Tufted Titmice (Titmouses)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (singing)
Mourning Doves
Downy Woodpecker
*Pine Siskin *2
*Louisiana Waterthrush* 1
*Pine Warbler *1
Eastern Bluebirds
*Purple Finch *4
Turkey Vulture

*Where the Appalachian Trail crosses road to Watauga Dam*

*Black-throated Green Warbler  *4
*Blue-headed Vireo *3
Eastern Phoebe 1

*Watauga Dam (and Watauga Lake)*