[Bristol-Birds] Re: Burke's Garden Sunday by Foryth Audubon Society of NC

  • From: "Mathis" <weer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 19:26:48 -0500

Wallace, Eric, et al,

I would like to make a correction to Eric’s statement that said “There is also
therefore no place to use a restroom when the store is closed.”

That is incorrect. My own club members informed us years ago of the privy
bathrooms at the very old church in the garden. Take your own paper.

Cecelia Mathis
Sparta, NC

Date: Sun Feb 9 2014 17:51 pm

From: Eric Harrold

Today I accompanied members of the Forsyth Audubon chapter to Burke's Garden in
Tazewell County. We were pleasantly surprised with our finds given the skies
that seemed to be on the verge of socking us in. One piece of advice I would
give folks contemplating a Sunday visit is to remember that the Burke's Garden
Country Store is not open on Sundays and therefore you should either bring a
lunch up or plan accordingly. There is also therefore no place to use a
restroom when the store is closed.

Inside the Garden we were immediately rewarded with both Golden Eagle and
Rough-legged Hawk almost instantly, which is the first time I've come up with
both in the first 20 minutes or so of a visit. We saw one adult and possibly
two different immature eagles. The pair of resident Bald Eagles were perched in
the grove with the nest tree. We had a few American Kestrels, one Northern
Harrier, and a couple Red-tailed Hawks to add to the raptor variety. Also
enjoyed nice looks at 6 Green-winged Teal and a lone Black Duck amid about 50
Mallards on the creek.

Eric Harrold

Hays, NC

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:30 PM

15 birders in Burke’s Garden

Forsyth Audubon Society of Winston Salem NC

Philip Dickinson, Ron Morris

18 species

1 American Black Duck

90 Mallard

5 Green-winged Teal

1 Great Blue Heron

2 Golden Eagle

2 Bald Eagle

1 Red-tailed Hawk

1 Rough-legged Hawk

1 Downy Woodpecker

2 American Kestrel

1 Blue Jay

12 American Crow

8 Common Raven

1 Tufted Titmouse

4 Eastern Bluebird

120 European Starling

40 Dark-eyed Junco

15 American Goldfinch

Additional species seen by Philip Dickinson:

1 Hairy Woodpecker

1 Black-capped Chickadee