[Bristol-Birds] Brown Pelican at Boone Lake photo

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BRISTOL BIRDS <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 21:59:40 -0400

Rick Knight, Brookie Potter and I saw the Brown Pelican at Davis Marina on
Boone Lake at about 6 pm Sunday afternnon. Other birders turned up but the bird
was not seen again. Shortly before dark I saw what I think was the pelican fly
low across the water and out of sight before anyone else had a chance to see
it. Rob Biller and I walked up a driveway to get a better angle. The homeowner
up the driveway invited us up to get a still better angle. I set up my scope
and there on a dock,across the lake, was a pelican. I called the others to come
up. I had the bird in my scope. After everyone took turns looking at the bird
someone finally had the nerve to ask, "is that a statue?". It was. I'm still
blushing. Anyway there was a Brown Pelican and I did manage to get a photograph
of it.

A friend of Gary Barigar called Gary about the bird. Gary called Don Holt. Don
told Brookie Potter. Jean Potter posted on Bristol Birds. I called Rick Knight.
After seeing the bird we called a bunch of people.

This is a first for northeast Tennessee.

Larry McDaniel

Johnson City, TN

http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/LearnMore/personalize.aspx?ocid=PID23391::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HYGN_express:082009