[Bristol-Birds] Re: Brown Pelican - Washington County, VA

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>, <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 01:14:12 -0400

Tom,

To the best of my knowledge, your Brown Pelican seen flying over I-81 in
Washington Co., Va is the region's first record for the species.  I think there
is only one such record for the western part of Virginia and that was from the
James River in Amherst Co. in  July 1998.  For that matter, I suppose there are
only a couple of records of the White Pelican for far Southwest Virginia and
both from South Holston Lake (1991 & 2006).  Maybe someone can provide us any
addition records that I can't find at this hour.  That is a very nice find.
Perhaps someone can find that bird in the area Friday or this weekend.

Let's go birding . . . .