[Bristol-Birds] Broad-winged Hawk, Red Corssbills at Unaka Mtn.

  • From: "Roy & Robin Knispel" <rknispel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 20:49:12 -0400

This morning, between showers, Jim D. Anderson and I were able to do some
birding  along Forest Rd 230 over Unaka Mtn.  Our list follows:
Broad-winged Hawk                          1
R. T. Hummingbird                             5
Chimney Swift                                    2
Acadian Flycatcher                             1
Barn Swallow                                     6
Blue-headed Vireo                             2
Red-eyed Vireo                                 2
C. Chickadee                                     2
Common Raven                                 1
Veery                                                2
Wood Thrush                                    1
Robin                                                3
Catbird                                              3
Cedar Waxwing                                2
Black & White Warbler                     1
Black-throated Blue Warbler             2
Black-throated Green Warbler          1
Magnolia Warbler                             2
Am. Redstart                                    1
E. Towhee                                        4
Field Sparrow                                  1
Dark-eyed Junco                             3
Indigo Bunting                                  3
Red Crossbills                                 3
The Broad-winged Hawk flew across the road and sat in a tree on the edge of the
road just ahead of the car, giving Jim some opportunities for nice pictures.
The three crossbills were in the road picking gravel not far beyond the turn
into the overlook, on the Erwin side.
We also saw a rattlesnake along the rock work on the overlook.

Roy Knispel
Johnson City