[Bristol-Birds] Broad-winged Hawk

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:47:15 -0400

April 18, 2013
ETSU-Kingsport at Allendale
Hawkins County, Tennessee

As I was walking into the school this morning I noticed a Broad-winged Hawk
sitting under the canopy in the woods above the faculty parking lot. The
bird was flapping it's wings as if to keep it's balance. I ran back to my
car to get my camera and went to check it out. The hawk was trying to break
off a green twig. The bird was eventually successful and flew off with it.
It eventually came back to same spot to repeat the behavior. I got a couple
of quick shots, (none of the bird holding the twig was sharp). Hand-holding
7 or 8 lbs of lens and camera does not make for great shots in filtered
light, but here is what I got. I'll go back out after classes and see if I
can find a nest.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips