[Bristol-Birds] Bristol Bird Club FunFest Bird Walks

  • From: wwg <wwg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:13:07 -0400

We had a good time on two bird walks held during Kingsport's FunFest last week. Both walks started at 8:30 AM. The first walk was Tuesday, July 19th on the Greenbelt linear park between the Civitan Shelter and the confluence of the north and south forks of the Holston River. We had 5 participants from BBC (Mary Erwin, Wilma Boy, Judy Roach, Wallace Coffey, and Bill Grigsby) and sighted 29 species including Double-crested Cormorant, Green Heron, Wood Duck, Canada Goose, Mallard, Black Vulture, Solitary Sandpiper, Mourning Dove, Belted Kingfisher, Red-bellied Woodpecker, Eastern Kingbird, American Crow, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Bluebird, American Robin, Northern Mockingbird, Cedar Waxwing, American Goldfinch

The second walk was at Bays Mountain Park, Thursday, July 21st. There were 14 participants on the walk lead by Wallace Coffey and Bill Grigsby. Species sighted were Yellow-billed Cuckoo (h), Downy Woodpecker (h), Eastern Wood-Pewee (h), American Crow, Blue Jay, Carolina Chickadee, Carolina Wren, House Wren.

On the walks we had some good birds and quite a few participants who were interested in learning about birds and bird watching.

Bill Grigsby
Kingsport, TN

Bristol Bird Club to facilitate communications between birders and bird clubs of Southwest Virginia