[Bristol-Birds] Brewster's Warbler Photo and Golden Eagle Confrontation Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:11:17 -0700 (PDT)

This afternoon I took a few hours to bird in the Elk Garden and Clifton Farms
area of Russell County, Virginia. The Elk Garden area was pretty good as it
produced Yellow Warbler and Warbling Vireo (Photos), House Wren and Willow
Flycatcher (Heard). I also found a Solitary Sandpiper at Stuart's Pond and an
Eastern Kingbird on Mountain Road.
When I got to Clifton Farms things became really interesting. On Reynolds Road
I heard 2 White-eyed Vireos and I stopped to listen and photograph if possible.
As I started to get back into the truck I saw a warbler hop up onto a branch
across the road. I started photographing and did not really look at it until it
went behind a limb. I realized it was different. It was a Brewster's Warbler. I
looked at the digital images to confirm. It had the black eye stripe, yellow
and white underparts and white wingbars.
As I continued on to Clifton Farms Road I heard crows and ravens squawking. I
looked up on the hillside and saw a Golden Eagle land on the ground. The others
settled around it and went silent. I hurried to a spot as close as I could get.
As I focused my camera the eagle took to the air again and the others started
squawking and attacking. This pattern repeated itself twice more before the
eagle made it to the timber. On my way home as I turned onto my road I saw 2
beautiful Red-tailed Hawks sailng and calling above me. A great day!
Photos are at the following link:
http://www.pbase.com/opiehunter/4262009

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter