[Bristol-Birds] Breaks Park CBC - Ed Talbott and David Raines Report

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 21:24:40 -0500

Bristol Birders,
        Snow and ice kept most birders away from the Breaks Park
Christmas Bird Count today.  Terry Owens, Park Naturalist,
birded the park while myself and David Raines covered other
areas within the CBC Circle.  After meeting Terry at the
Visitor's Center at 8:00 a.m., Dave and I decided to make
our way up to Beaver Knob before the roads got too bad.
Beaver Knob is a huge reclaimed strip mine and has
historically been a great site for raptors, larks and
sparrows.  The sparrows were out in great numbers but found
in areas protected from the wind and near sediment ponds.
Along with the great numbers of White-throated Sparrows we
found Song Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Swamp Sparrows, two
Lincoln's Sparrows (big surprise) and one each of Fox and
White-crowned Sparrows.  We also had a flyby of a Northern
Harrier and spotted our only Hermit Thrush of the day.  The
larks were nowhere to be found - we missed both the
Meadowlarks and the Horned Larks which are normally very
reliable here  This must have had something to do with the
harsh weather.  We then made our way up the Russell Fork
river - spotting a Red-tailed Hawk, Mallards, a Great Blue
Heron and Yellow-rumped Warblers along the way.  We then
birded the fields around Dave's house in Breaks, VA - adding
Chipping Sparrows, Sharp-shinned Hawks, Pileated Woodpecker
and Red-winged Blackbirds to our list.  It was getting late
and we decided to make a quick trip out to Flanagan Lake to
try for some waterfowl.  There was not a single duck or
grebe on the lake and we added only the Belted Kingfisher
there.  A dinner buffet at the Rhododendron Lodge Restaurant
topped a great day of birding.  We are not sure what Terry
found but we had a fairly productive day for
Buchanan/Dickenson County in the winter (42 species).

Ed Talbott
Buchanan County Bird Club

Here is our list for the day:

White-throated Sparrow          140
White-crowned Sparrow           2
Song Sparrow                    28
Swamp Sparrow                   6
Lincoln's Sparrow               2
Field Sparrow                   8
Chipping Sparrow                3
Fox Sparrow                     1
Red-shouldered Hawk             2
Sharp-shinned Hawk              2
Northern Harrier                        1
Red-tailed Hawk                 1
American Crow                   100+
Mourning Dove                   22
Rock Dove                       75
Carolina Wren                   12
Carolina Chickadee              23
Tufted Titmouse                 9
White-breasted Nuthatch 7
Golden-crowned Kinglet          2
American Robin                  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler           1
American Goldfinch              6
Eastern Towhee                  5
Eastern Phoebe                  1
House Finch                     4
Northern Cardinal               25
Common Grackle          1
Red-winged Blackbird            1
Blue Jay                        13
Downy Woodpecker                4
Pileated Woodpecker             2
Northern Flicker                        3
Red-bellied Woodpecker          1
Dark-eyed Junco         15
Ruffed Grouse                   1
Hermit Thrush                   1
European Starling               9
Belted Kingfisher               1
Great Blue Heron                1
Brown-headed Cowbird            4
Mallard                         3

Domesticated Duck types 3
Domesticated Geese types        2

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Chapter, Blue Ridge
and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958