[Bristol-Birds] Breaks Interstate Park/Buchanan Co. - Cerulean, Ovenbird, etc.

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:01:10 -0700 (PDT)

Bristol Birders,

I finally got my pictures posted from a couple morning hikes over at the
Breaks.  The weather was perfect and the birding great.  Warblers included
Pine, Hooded, Ovenbird, Black-and-white, Yellow-throated, and Black-throated
Green.  I thought I heard a Parula near the park entrance from the Towers
overlook but it was a long way off so I'm not sure.  We also found our first
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers of 2012 in the park.

We stopped by Stateline overlook to look for Peregrines and got our hearts
racing a little when a Cooper's Hawk came tearing by the overlook at top speed.
 I barely managed a couple pictures before he disappeared.  We also were
serenaded by our first Hooded Warbler from the woods just below the overlook.

At Guesses Fork in Buchanan County I managed some pictures of the Cerulean
Warbler found there by Shirley Justus on April 5th.  These early dates after
the mild winter are amazing.  Shirley also spotted a Scarlet Tanager there on
April 7th.

For those interested, here is link to our hike pictures:
http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/breaks23 ;

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Richmond, KY

P.S. - can anyone ID that little white flower near the end of the pictures?