[Bristol-Birds] Boone Dam's sinkhole a TVA Conundrum

  • From: "BBC Net" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 20:52:23 -0500

TVA Condundrom 21 Jan 2015.jpg

                                                               Photo by
Wallace Coffey 21 Jan 2015

TVA

Conundrum*

*A logical postulation that evades resolution, an intricate and difficult
problem.

Somewhere in the future of history, what is written about birding in our
spreadsheets

must surely have an asterisk as a reference mark to indicate omission.  It
would

be the lack of ornithological records that now follow some sense of orderly
collection

and archiving.

The future of Boone Dam may alter that.

Scientist, engineers and great minds of management must surely stand
stranded

with the sinkhole problem of the South Fork Holston River rushing beneath
Boone

Dam.

A  proverbial  "source close to"  TVA field workers said today that the
Tennessee

Valley Authority has not found a way to plug or fill the sinkhole which is
causing

a tower of water gushing maybe 50 to 60 feet upwards.

Many trucks and tons of rock have been dumped into the hole and still
nothing

seems to abate whatever threat the flow flaunts.

Experts from Canada and others have scratched their heads and scratched

their efforts.

The source maintains:

1.     TVA is exploring the possibility of building a new Boone Dam !

2.    The impoundment will likely be drained to little more than

a river for an extended period.

3.    Construction may require perhaps two to six years but they

don't actually know.

4.    The cost could be staggering.

5.    The environmental impact would be serious.

Of course this is such an amazing approach to the problem that no one

yet knows what would be involved.  The best minds and tangled bureaucracy

have not had their days at the decision tables.

Little is decided and even less etched in stone.  We hardly know if this is

anything more than the fancy imaginations of those who live and work along

the banks of the reservoir or have strange and infested worries about their

futures.

We need to look over our shoulders a bit and take due caution that people
like to think

where there's smoke, there's fire, so we often believe what we hear even it
is wrong.

Words spoken by those closest to the dilemma maintain something like this:

Engineers believe the reservoir level will first be raised to allow those

who own boats and other waterfront property and investments to retrieve

their items.  Some boats are probably worth several hundreds of thousands

of dollars.  Many smaller crafts are hanging in storage at shoreline boat

hoists.  If the solution to the water problem takes years, the depreciation

and weathering might render them of little worth.

          The reservoir level will eventually be drawn down to a riverbed
back to

Austin Springs in Washington County and to Bluff City in Sullivan County.

Not that it would be anything new because that happens annually in the

headwaters of winter but annually is not 365 days a year for two to six
years !

          How nice it would be to back a big truck up to a "factory made

home" lot on Stone Driver and simply load up a few tow trucks with

several sections of a modular dam and drop them in place at Boone Dam.

          Poof!  Problem fixed !  Of course that is a dream but the way we

often dream about how to fix big problems with little efforts.

          Work on Boone Dam began in August 1950.

`         Even in 1955 it cost $20 million to construct the dam and $27
million

to fund the entire Boone Lake project.  The CPI cost of inflation would

probably bring home a price tag of more than $60 million for the dam by
today's

standards.  Of course that is a calculated guesstimate.

          It will take forever to do the feasibility study for what is now
rumored

as building the new dam on the upstream side of the present dam.  Is that

even feasible ?  Not only is there the exhaustive engineering details of
such

construction but also the geological considerations (that is what has us to

this stage of the solution).  The cost estimates.  The trip thru Congress

and whoever else in  Washington who wants to make our lives better.

          No one knows what they might do with the old dam.  TVA doesn't

know at this point.

It may have been easier to walk off and leave

the unfinished construction of the Phipps Bend Nuclear site construction

in Hawkins County which was abandoned in the early 1980s after a fair

amount of work had been done on the plant.

          Nevertheless,  our records of species impact and environmental

costs would be more than significant.

          What happens to the Bald Eagle feeding area that supports the

nest near Winged Deer Park when it is gone to river during the nesting

season ?  What happens to the diversity of shorebirds, waterfowl and

other migrant and wintering birds which depend on Boone Lake's

shoreline and habitat (Austin Springs) for many important species?

          This post doesn't look like it says much about birds and birding

but it really has an avian bottom line.

          The fishing resources, boat docks and marina problems not to

mention the details of what happens when the City of Bristol
Tennessee/Virginia

Wastewater outfall line, which extends close to a half mile along the bottom

of the lake near Davis Marina at Beaver Creek on the South Fork River

embayment, is again exposed to the open air and discharges into a

flow that cannot dilute the effluent.  That line is so big you can almost

crawl thru it.  Same is so for Johnson City's Brush Creek facility on the

Watauga arm.  The design of the outfall is different for that plant.  I

know little about that.

          I know little about much of this.

          Some of the folks who live in the area believe they know more

than anyone else.  For starters, they believe the sinkhole problem was

exacerbated by the massive dynamite explosions set off in the

construction of the new bridge downstream from the dam as the state

widened TN Rt. 36 leading to the airport.  One person said the ground

rolled and dishes and artwork fell off walls in houses and walls were

cracked.  They concede that TVA has been struggling with the sinkhole

problem at Boone Dam for years and has had some success with

pouring concrete in it during past years.  Who knows?

          This post is about making us more aware of what is being

talked about by people living in the Boone Dam area.  Some day we will

hear TVA talk about what they really plan to do.

          I am confident TVA will tell you now that what is written in this

post is good garbage for a landfill.  The question is how does it

fit in a sinkhole ?

          But first TVA will have to develop lots of plans.

JPEG image