[Bristol-Birds] Blue-winged Warbler, Hampton, TN

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:55:20 -0400 (EDT)

I had a Blue-winged Warbler (male) foraging and singing persistently late this
morning (Saturday, April 14) at home on Simerly Creek Road in Hampton, TN.

The bird foraged in blooming plum trees and willows along with a Ruby-crowned
Kinglet and, from time to time, some Carolina Chickadees.

His buzzy song made it easy to keep track of his progress, and got several good
looks. David Thometz and my mom, Peggy Stevens, also got to see the bird.

This is only my third sighting of a Blue-winged Warbler at my home. This is the
second spring sighting. I also had a bird linger for several days during fall
migration a few years ago.

We watched the bird for about a half hour. Sometimes we would lose him in thick
foliage, but we kept track of his approximate location by listening for the
song.

Also had a Hooded Warbler singing this morning, but the Hooded has been around
for a week now.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, Carter Co., TN