[Bristol-Birds] Blue Grosbeak

  • From: "Michelle Brown" <mbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 23:03:33 -0400

I do not recall ever noticing a Blue Grosbeak here on the farm this time of
year.  I have tried to rattle the memory out of my head but alas it won't shake
loose.

Yesterday as I pulled up my driveway in Blountville, Sullivan County TN, I had
a male Blue Grosbeak attempt to decorate my windshield with his beautiful
feathers.  I hit the brakes, he flew over and landed on the fence and gave me a
dirty look.  He then flew off and I have not seen him since.  I know that is
what I saw I just wasn't sure it was normal to see such here this time of year.
 Peterson's map shows breeding areas surrounding the state of TN in neighboring
states but shows breeding in the state only in the southern and western
regions.  Of course this is the only field guide I have so maybe someone else
can shed some light on my little visitor.  Is he a wanderer or just a regular
joe that I have missed in the past?

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer!

Michelle King
Blountville TN
Sullivan County

P.S.  Please vaccinate your pets against rabies!  Shady Valley had a positive
Raccoon approximately one month ago.  Mtn City had a positive skunk in October
of 2005 and Unicoi County (Erwin) had a positive cat in January(?) 2006.
Protect your pets, protect yourself!