[Bristol-Birds] Black-billed Cuckoo

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 18:39:42 -0400

Area Birders,
I got a new yard bird today, when a Black-billed Cuckoo showed up in the
upper branches of a maple tree. The Cuckoo was catching and eating
caterpillars. The dark bill, the buffy breast, and the lack of contrasting
rufous wing patches were all evident. The red obrbital eye-ring was not as
visible due to the bird being slightly in the shadows. I was able to watch
this bird for 5-7 minutes.
Yellow-billed Cuckoos are rather common here in Buchanan County, but
Black-bills are not seen very often.

Enjoy the birds,
Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA