[bristol-birds] Black Terns at Musick's Campground

  • From: "Mary J. Erwin" <maryerwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 02:04:58 -0400

About 7:00 Sat. afternoon (8-17), Mary Evans, Mike Evans and Mary Erwin =
sat through a big thunderstorm and heavy rain on the shore at Musick's.  =
Once the storm had passed, we were rewarded with double arcs of a =
rainbow over Washington County Park.  The pot of gold was the flurry of =
activity of gulls and terns at the mouth of Spring Creek following the =
storm.  We had close looks at two Black Terns, one in breeding plumage.  =
There were easily 15-20 terns in the area before they dispersed.

1 Adult and 1 juv. Ring-billed gulls also gave us close looks.  =
Shorebirds seen on the island with scopes were: 2 Semipalmated Plovers, =
2 Pectoral Sandpipers and 4 Spotted Sandpipers.

Through binoculars, we saw a slender-profiled dark heron or egret, but =
it vanished up Spring Creek before I got my scope on it.  My first =
impression was that it was smaller and more slender than a Great Blue =
Heron.  Anyone who is at Musick's tomorrow might look for it. =20

Mary J. Erwin
Kingsport TN

Bird Club, Herndon Chapter TOS, Greeneville TOS
Chapter, Blue Ridge Birders Club, Butternut Nature
Club, Buchanan County Bird Club, Bristol Bird Club,
Clinch Valley Bird Club and Cumberland Nature Club.
         jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx
           (423)764-3958