[Bristol-Birds] Birding in Russell County

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 03:46:43 -0800 (PST)

On January 26, Dave Worley, Richard Kretz and I birded
in the Corn Valley, Clifton areas of Russell County,
Virginia. We were particularly hoping for close looks
at Golden Eagles but were only able to find one in
Corn Valley. We had some scattered groups of sparrows
early including White-crowned, White-throated, Field
and Song Sparrows. Later in the day the birds were few
and far between. Other highlights included:

Red-tailed Hawk - 3
American Kestrel - 5
Loggerhead Shrike - 1
Great Blue Heron -5