[Bristol-Birds] Birding in Burke's Garden 2/27/18:

  • From: RonEHarrin <RonEHarrin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Steven Hopp <shopp@xxxxxxx>, Mike Hagy <mlhagy322morning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Randy & Mary Sue Smith <maryran@xxxxxxx>, Marty/Jo Ann Huber/Detta <jomart2u@xxxxxxxxx>, Diane Harris <dmharris@xxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <Betty.Edmondson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Sanders <hawk036@xxxxxxx>, Sam Evans <samevansathome@xxxxxxxxx>, "vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx" <vicky_frye@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Morgan <edandhelenmorgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx" <petergmorgan@xxxxxxxxx>, Judith Wiley <wyliejc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, John Brenner <johnbrenner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Shearer <shearer44@xxxxxxxxx>, Betty Edmondson <betty.edmondson7@xxxxxxxxx>, Edward Morgan <tredegar75@xxxxxxxxx>, Matt Fleenor <matt3@xxxxxx>, Rob Morgan <morganforestry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ramsey White <vagrace@xxxxxxxxx>, Amanda Bishop <amandab@xxxxxx>, Teresa Hutson <hutson.teresa@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeremy Keller <jeremy_keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Michael Ripper <ripperarts@xxxxxxxxx>, william charles <williamcharles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dennis Sanders <dblcenv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Margaret Short <margaret.short@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Bird Network <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Birding Kingsport <birdingkingsport@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Allen Gill <agill010@xxxxxxx>, Jill Scott <jillhscott2@xxxxxxxxx>, Chase Harrington <charrington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Clancey Deel <clancey.deel@xxxxxxx>, Clancey Deel <clancey.deel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 14:02:06 -0500

On Tuesday, February 27th, Sam Evans, Mike Hagy and I decided to take advantage of a sunny day to bird in Burkes Garden in Tazewell County. We arrived around 10:00 am and birded until 5:00 pm. The weather was clear and sunny. Temperatures ranged from a low of 36 degrees to a high of 42 when we left. There was frost on the trees when we arrived at the Gose Mill dam. Wind was light and variable. We ate lunch at "Mattie's Place" on Gose Mill Road--great home-cooked food at reasonable prices.

Highlights include *five **gol**den eagles *soaring together and*a pair of**adult bald eagles* on/near their nest (We used a spotting scope).  The bald eagles were observed in the act of mating (copulating). We also recorded a *peregrine **falcon* and a red-phase *eastern screech owl *looking out from its nesting hole!! We counted 37 species (in order of appearance):

*Common Raven: 18*

Carolina Wren: 2

Canada Goose: 51+

Blue Jay: 4