[Bristol-Birds] Birding along the Dismal River

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:24:31 -0500

Area Birders,
On Friday, 1/20/06, fellow Buchanan County Bird Club member, Richard Kretz and
I birded an abandoned railroad bed that runs alongside the Dismal River in
Buchanan County. The river and railroad pass near the small town of Whitewood
VA . We walked about 2 1/2 miles of the railroad bed (5 miles round-trip). We
didn't log a high number of species, but some of the ones we did find were
rather numerous. Nine Carolina wrens were seen and heard and 11 Golden-crowned
Kinglets were found in trees and bushes along the track's edge. One Brown
Thrasher was found, which is a bit uncommon for this area at this time of year.
Red-tailed Hawks were out with 5 observed. Field, Song, Swamp and
White-throated Sparrows were counted and 2 Pileated Woodpeckers kept teasing
us, as we would get almost close enough for photos before they would fly a
short distance ahead. With the warm temperatures  (sunny 50's) it was a great
day for some birding and good exercise.
For those interested the complete list follows.

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt (near Grundy)
Buchanan County

American Crow 16