[Bristol-Birds] Birding Wheeler NWR, Alabama

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 20:56:11 +0000

PRICEVILLE, AL -- I am birding Flint Creek area of the 38,000-acre Wheeler
National Wildlife Refuge
today.  A portion is closed due to two visiting  Whooping Cranes. Thousands of
Sandhill Cranes are in the Airport Rd area and shallows of Flint Creek.  A
surprising amount of this Tennessee River area is frozen during this prolonged
deep freeze. Very large numbers of ducks on refuge.  Most refuge roads closed.
Gulls are abundant in many areas, mostly standing on the ice.  Spent about 30
min with the refuge visitor information staff and learned much about dealing
with the safety of children and adults.  Clear and sunny here, about 40 degrees.
Bought my 2009-2010 federal Migratory Bird Hunting & Conservation Stamp
(waterfowl or duck stamp).  Spent a short time with a bird photography from
Indiana who had this morning photographed a large flock of Whooping Cranes led
by an ultra light aircraft flying near Russeville.

Let's go birding,

Wallace Coffey
Bristol TN