[Bristol-Birds] Birding Roan Creek valley near Mountain City

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol-birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 01:26:19 -0400

From: Merrill Lynch
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2009 12:55 PM
To: Wallace Coffey
Cc: Gabrielle Call
Subject: Johnson County birds

Wallace,

Please forward this to the Tennessee birds listserve.  Gabby and I birded the
Roan Creek valley south of Mountain City along TN 167 on Saturday, June 13.
Had a singing Savannah Sparrow along the highway at the community of Neva
(literally at the sign that says Neva).  Also a Willow Flycatcher near the
Johnson County Airport a few miles north of Neva.  Further south on TN 167
along Roan Creek, where the valley narrows, I had at least four singing
Yellow-throated Warblers in sycamores along the stream.  I assume these are the
race albilora that breeds mainly west of the Appalachians.

Hope you are doing well.

Merrill Lynch
Watauga County, NC