[Bristol-Birds] Birding Cold Fronts

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol-birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 10:26:16 -0400

With this weather change today and Saturday, I would like to ask for opinions
on how this weather will effect the early migrants and the departing migrants.
Such as - I would assume that it will "down" or temporarily halt the birds from
moving.  The heavy rains (that we need tremendously) that fell last night and
continuing today associated with the front and the front itself bringing colder
temperatures for a day or two could really make some interesting birding.  Or
will it?  I have seen this type of thing before and, with high hopes of good
birds be disappointed with the birds just not there.  I am trying to get a
handle on how spring weather fronts effect birding in our area and also thought
we could get a little discussion that Bristol birds that is sometimes missed
from our birding boards.  Also, with warbler migration, cold fronts will down
birds (more April and May) and can make some spectacular bird fallouts (I.E.
The Spring count a couple years ago that produced a tremendous amounts of
migrants - a high number if I remember correctly).  But how do they effect
shorebird migration and the migration of Waterfowl?  Do they effect them at
all?

I suppose I am just getting the "birding bug" that usually happens to me in
March while waiting on our "Big Dance" (as opposed to the NCAA big dance that
started on the Ides of March - Et tu Brute?).

Also - if anybody wants to post any of their favorite places to check during
migration that would be great too.

I suppose I could just watch the NCAA tourney and wait for the big migration to
start  seeping in to our area, but what fun would that be?

As Wallace says..."Let's go birding"

Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN