[Bristol-Birds] Birding Burkes Garden

  • From: "Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 22:48:37 -0500

Area Birders,
Today (1/5/05) my wife, Lynda and I ( Roger Mayhorn) took advantage of the warm
temperatures and birded Burkes Garden in Tazewell County. Even though it was
warm the birds were not moving about. We did get great looks at an adult male
NORTHERN HARRIER as it wheeled and turned over a pasture, just a few feet off
the ground, and close enough to give us great binocular looks.
We also found 5 RED-TAILS and one KESTREL  hunting throughout the valley, but
found no Golden Eagles nor Rough-legged Hawks, that we were hoping for.
On the water near the entrance to the valley were 9 BLACK DUCKS, 66 CANADA
GEESE and 57 MALLARDS.

In the timbered areas we located 4 RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, 1 RED-BELLIED
female, and 1 DOWNY.
Except for STARLINGS  we found no blackbirds, which surprised me somewhat.

In the same field as the flock of Starlings was a flock of MEADOWLARKS. We
counted 12, but I think there were more, as single ones would pop up from time
to time in  different areas of the field.

Enjoy the birds,

Roger Mayhorn
Grundy, VA
Buchanan County