[Bristol-Birds] Birding Buchanan County, VA

  • From: "Ed Talbott" <etalbott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birders" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:05:23 -0400

Bristol Birders,

Michelle and I spent the morning birding Poplar Gap Park in Buchanan County
today.  We
logged about 40 different species on the mountain top in about 3 hours of
birding.  The
flock of 20+ Horned Larks are still on the upper reclaimed strip mine site
along with
several Killdeer.  We were hoping for a couple of migrant shorebirds near some
of the
larger mud holes but found none.  One surprise was a young Magnolia Warbler.
We also
found a couple of loose feeder flocks that included Blue-winged Warblers,
Gnatcatchers,
Redstarts, Chickadees, Vireos, and at least one each of Worm-eating Warbler and
Cerulean
Warbler.

We then made our way over to Guesses Fork in the northern part of the county.
After a
fine home-cooked chicken dinner at Michelle's parents, we birded the reclaimed
mine sites
along the ridge towards West Virginia.  We were joined by Shirley Justus,
Michelle's
mother, who is also a member of the Buchanan County Bird Club.  We managed to
find one
Spotted Sandpiper but no other shorebirds.  We got some nice looks at a female
Orchard
Oriole and heard a Black-billed Cuckoo.  Overall, we located around 53 species
and had a
great day of birding.  Below is the total list.

Ed and Michelle Talbott
Buchanan Co. Bird Club
http://www.bcplnet.org/birdclub/birdclub.htm

Worm-eating Warbler