[bristol-birds] Re: Binoculars

  • From: "Rack Cross" <frogfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 03:24:12 -0400

Anne

My wife and I use binoc's in the 1-2 hundred dollar range. We are =
especially pleased with my wife's 7x35 Nikon Naturalist IV ($99.95) and =
I am getting used to my Nikon 7-15x35 Zoom Action ($149.95). The clarity =
of image is impressive, I returned a pair of similarly priced Olympus =
8x40 due to lack of sharpness. With information I have applied from "The =
Audubon Society Handbook for Birders" I share the following:
The Naturalist gives a 5mm exit pupil with 488.25' field of view at =
1000', while the Zoom Action drops to 2.33 exit pupil at 15x and 288.75' =
field of view at 1000' at 7x. (I lose light and area - but, get good =
[shakey] marks on distant shorebirds!).=20

Bottom line, larger exit pupil means brighter subject - important to =
birders. Larger number of feet seen in field of view at 1000' means =
birds in flight/dense cover are easier to pick up. Sales reps should be =
able to give this info.

This price range is in my experience, the baseline for quality images. =
The hardware itself does not promise the longevity in the field of say =
the 3-4 hundred dollar equipment. For instance on Eagle optics WWWsite =
today I noticed Ranger Platnum Class 8x42 $379.00ish had roof prism =
design, waterproof outer and $20.00 plus postage for any repair - =
lifetime! I dropped my Naturalist's ($99.95) from waist level and now =
they are severely out of alignment. To repair them cost's $150.00.

If your friend's budget absolutely expires at $1-2 hundred I can readily =
recommend the NIkon Naturalist 7x35 at $99.95. The next level of expense =
however is very tempting to this $1-2 hundred binoc owner. At any rate, =
EVERY experienced birder I have talked optics with has referred me to =
Eagle Optics. They have a user friendly web site that is worth the =
visit.

"Til we bird again,

Rack Cross
Blountville,TN