[Bristol-Birds] Belted Kingfishers mating (photo)

  • From: Heather Jones <hrupejones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 20:21:22 -0400

We were driving down Pickens Bridge Road about 7:00p tonight and saw an
American Kestrel on the wire.  I circled back around to try to get a photo,
and instead managed to get this photo of two Belted Kingfishers mating!  It
was perfect timing.

The male is almost always there on the left when I pass by, on a wire over
the cow field and a stream-- just before you come to the bridge (heading
toward Boones Creek).

It's not an epic rare sighting but I always like to see them.  And I, for
one, have never seen them mate.

Heather Jones
Piney Flats, TN