[Bristol-Birds] Belated Roan MT report

  • From: <merlin42@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 20:46:51 -0400

Larry McDaniel and myself (Rob Biller) made an  after work trip to the top of
Roan Mountain last Thursday (6/28/07) after work.  We started at the Nursing
Home in Roan Mountain where we found the resident Willow Flycatcher there at
the top of a  Willow tree, then proceeded up the mountain through the rain to
Carver's Gap.

Here are the rest of the highlights from up at Carver's Gap and upward to the
garden area at the top (Carver County, TN - Mitchell County, NC).  Sorry for
the late report.

Magnolia Warbler (about half way up the Rhododendron Road from Carver's Gap)
Canada Warbler
Saw-whet Owl (calling from Carver's Gap - TN side, left of bathroom)
Brown Thrasher singing from Carver's Gap
Indigo Bunting - parking area at top
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Carver's Gap)
Brown Creeper(s)
Veery
Raven
Alder Flycatcher(Carver's Gap)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Carver's Gap)
Bobwhite (Carver's Gap)
Barn  Swallow (Carver's Gap)

Gray's Lily in Bloom - along the Rhododendron Road
Spreading Avens (in bloom)
Roan Mountain Bluets
Mountain Bluets
Devil's Paintbrush (Orange Hawkweed)

Cottontail (up top - active at dusk - many)
White-tailed Deer (very large and snorting, probably Bucks)

--
Rob Biller
Elizabethton, TN