[Bristol-Birds] Beartown Wilderness Area - Burke's Garden - Tazewell County

  • From: Ed Talbott <aquilaet@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 19:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

Bristol Birders,

  Michelle and I joined three other hikers Sunday for a trip into the Beartown
Wilderness Area in Tazewell County.  Beartown Tazewell is the fourth highest
mountain in Virginia and rises to an elevation of 4,710 feet.  65 species of
birds were located during the day including many high-altitude specialties.

  Most interesting bird of the day was a Ruffed Grouse.  I looked under a ledge
that several hikers had just walked around and noticed a perfectly camouflaged
hen sitting on her nest.  She flushed a couple of seconds after I stopped
walking and revealed a nest with at least a dozen eggs.  For those interested,
pictures of the nest as well as pictures from the hike can be found at:
  http://www.pbase.com/aquilaet/beartown2

We also found a half-dozen or so Bobolinks at the intersection of Route 608 and
Rt. 91 in Tazewell County (this is the mouth of Ward Cove).

  Interesting high altitude species found on Beartown Tazewell included:
  Canada Warbler  (at least a half dozen singing)
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Veery
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Dark-eyed Junco
Common Raven

  We had a great time and I'm already planning a return visit via the AT and
Chestnut Ridge.

  Ed and Michelle Talbott
  Grundy, Virginia

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.