[Bristol-Birds] Bays Mountain/Glen Alpine Road/ Kingsport Caprimulgidae

  • From: JPMOYLE18@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 09:14:46 EDT

Part of this is the email I tried to send earlier this week.  However, the
most recent arrivals include a lone Common Nighthawk in flight last evening
(05/11) over Church Circle in Kingsport.  After arriving home, around 9:00
p.m., a
lone Chuck-Will's-Widow was calling from an adjacent pasture and woods.
The email that I did not successfully send two days ago summarized two short
hikes on Bays Mountain and birds on our property since May 1.  On Monday ( May
9) I recorded Bay-breasted Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Acadian Flycatcher
and Ovenbird along a trail leading up Bays Mountain from the Eastman Picnic
Area.  The trail has a stream and deep woods.  The area where I saw the
flycatcher and waterthrush was a cool, moist, shaded grove of large hemlocks.
On
Thursday (May 5) I also saw Scarlet Tanager, Kentucky Warbler, and Veery at the
top of Bays Mountain east of the Visitors' Center.    Recent sightings at our
home include Rose-breasted Grosbeak (05/06), Purple Martin (05/06),
White-throated Sparrow (05/06), Gray Catbird (05/07), Swainson's Thrush
(05/07), Indigo
Bunting (05/08 and each day since), Yellow-billed Cuckoo (05/09).  Others on
our property since May 1 include:  Eastern Kingbird, Common Yellowthroat,
Yellow-rumped Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Wood Thrush, Great-crested
Flycatcher, Hooded Warbler, a Broad-winged Hawk that took a squirrel at our
feeders,
Eastern Phoebes with young, Brown Thrasher, Wild Turkey, Red-eyed Vireos,
Ruby-crowned Hummingbirds (male and female), Barn Swallow, Tree Swallow,
breeding
Red-bellied Woodpeckers, a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers, Chimney Swifts,
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a pair of Sharp-shinned Hawks. I apologize for the
late
reports!    John Moyle   Glen Alpine Road    Kingsport  Sullivan County