[Bristol-Birds] Bathing Cooper's Hawk

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 00:39:01 -0400

Hi All,
Yesterday an immature Cooper's Hawk came into the yard, and perched near our
small pond stream. It looked around a bit, then waded into the water and
proceeded to flap, splash, dunk and sling water, as if it were a small bird
having a bath.
I have had both Cooper's and Sharpies come to the stream in the past and
tentatively attempt to bathe, but there was nothing tentative about this bird.
It wanted to cool off and it went for it.
I took about 20 photos of the whole process, and they can be seen at
http://www.pbase.com/mayhorn/bathing_coopers

Roger Mayhorn
Compton Mt
Buchanan County VA