[Bristol-Birds] Barred Owl, Scarlet Tanager

  • From: "Mike" <hawk036@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2009 17:58:00 -0400

I met up with my friend Gary Cooper this morning to do a little birding. We
decided to go to Panhandle Rd in Carter, Co TN since I saw some good birds
yesterday. We had a good day, in between the rain showers. We had two Barred
Owl?s today, one was near the bottom of the mtn, and the second owl was in
the exact same spot I saw the Barred Owl yesterday about ½ way to the top, I
can only surmise that it was the same owl as yesterday, but still always
good to see a barred owl in the daylight. We got a great look at the second
owl, he posed for us with his head turned 180 degrees back looking at us.
The following list is what we saw today, birds were recorded from blue hole
to the radio towers today. The only disappointing part was not seeing the
twenty or so Hooded Warblers we heard in different places up the mtn, also
the Canada Warbler I saw yesterday was hiding from us even though we could
hear him and a partner calling for about thirty minutes.

Journal of Sighting Records Entered 5/3/2009

Dark-eyed Junco Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 9 = /OG/TM

Barred Owl Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 2 = /OG/TM

Red-tailed Hawk Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /O/OG/TM

Scarlet Tanager Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 3 = /m/f/OG/TM

Ovenbird Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 4 = /OG/TM

Wood Thrush Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /OG/TM

Black-and-white Warbler Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /m/OG/TM

Blue-headed Vireo Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 8 = /OG/TM

Chestnut-sided Warbler Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 3 = /m/OG/TM

Eastern Towhee Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 3 = /m/f/OG/TM

Gray Catbird Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /OG/Y/TM

Pileated Woodpecker Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /m/OG/TM

American Goldfinch Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 3 = /m/f/OG/TM

Hairy Woodpecker Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /f/OG/Y/TM

Northern Cardinal Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 2 = /OG /f/m/TM

American Crow Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 4 = /OG/TM

Chipping Sparrow Panhandle Rd South Holston Mtn TN US May 3, 2009

= 1 = /OG/TM

Printed May 3, 2009 ~ MIKE data set ~ 17 records Page 1

Michael Sanders

Bristol, VA